Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Getting older scares the hell out of me...

I'm not old nor am I close to being there but I work in an environment that is saturated with old (75+) people. I see what it means to grow old, to lose your motor skills, to lose your mental acuity, to lose what it means to be young. Your opinions grow old too, you grow closed off to changes in society, to changes in your life, to change at all. I suppose I see them at their worst, when they're ill, but it doesn't make it any easier trying to justify it. Some day I will slide into that existence as will everyone I know. It scares the crap out of me. How do I keep it from happening, how do I stay young at heart if not of body? Is it the mere acknowledgment of the potholes of the journey? Or is it simply the inevitable ending to life? I don't have the answers, I'm not sure anyone does, and I don't want to make it sound like I'm obsessing every day about this. It's just been on my mind of late as I've been interacting more with patients lately.
On a lighter note...LOST starts back tonight!! I admit to being totally hooked, curiosity has gotten the better of me and I must see it through to the end. I seriously hope the writers are as brilliant as they have made themselves out to be because if the end of this thing doesn't live up to the hype I will be sorely disappointed and more than a little pissed. Oh well, I'm going to try and enjoy the ride and wait for the answers like everyone else, something I'm not good at ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment